Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Subterranean Homesick Blues

This certain song is one of the fist songs of Dylan's that I memorized. At the time being in junior high I thought it was cool that some song written in 1965 had certain similarities to the rap songs that the rest of my friends were listening to. Although they did necessarily think the song was very good they humored me and agreed that it was cool. Not too much later I was able to see the music video for this song, it was so simple but at the same time just drew me in. This was a time when TRL ruled the school, so again I went back to my friends and tell them about how the video, again they were uninterested. It’s been almost a decade now, and the things that the rap they use to listen to are dead, TRL is long gone and now a majority of them are fans of Dylan. I have a tendency to remind them of their errors. One of more memorable times listening to this song was in an English class, my teacher wanted to show us some sort of rhyming technique or something I can't quite remember, I just now that it was cool to hear Dylan in class. The English teacher ended up becoming a big fan of me because when he often mentioned references to Dylan I knew them. Such as "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" being based off the ballad of "Lord Randall", and the importance of Dylan Thomas, whom Dylan took his name from. By the end of the year I ended up getting an A, and I'm almost positive it was because I was a Dylan fan. So the song has always been a favorite not because the pure fact that I like it but also because I can rub it in my friends face about their old silly ways, and the fact that it was the start of me getting an A in English class, either way the song is still a classic song to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment