Monday, January 25, 2010

Me and Bobby D

Just thought I would give the short story about how I started to listen and love the music that Dylan has written over his half century of work. It all started one day when I was in sixth grade. I always knew who Bob Dylan was and like the songs that I knew by him, but I was not very diverse in his work. A couple of years earlier I had bought my father a Dylan greatest hits CD, the Essential Bob Dylan to be exact. One habit that I have that helps me listen to a lot of music is that for almost an hour every night I but listen to music. One night I was bored of the CD I had in the CD players so I went through some of my dads CDs to look for one I would like. I came across the Essential Bob Dylan. It was a two-disc collection and the only song that I really knew was like a rolling stone. So I would listen to that song about four times in a row and go to bed. This would happen for about a week. Then I slowly started to listen to more and more songs. Before long I had memorized that whole CD and moved on to disc two. Every since then I have been trying to learn and hear as much Bob Dylan as I can but even more than ten years later I still haven’t even scratched the surface. The thing that I tell most people is that it is easy to listen to an artist as he comes out with new material and follow release, but what I have done is discovered something I like and its going to take me awhile to make up 50 years of lost time but God knows I'm trying. Since then I have bought myself a handful of what I think are his best albums, I have watched movies and documentaries based on his life. I have read books and I have even seen him in concert twice. Overall I may have just scratched the surface but I'm looking to dig deep!

No comments:

Post a Comment